Commission for Spiritual Life (Pam Deveary)
Please arrive at least 15 minutes before Mass.
+Before Mass – use Holy Water for the sign of cross as entering church; genuflect as you come to the Tabernacle on the way to the Sacristy.
- Put on Alb and Cincture
- Light Candles
- Check to see if Sacramentary is ready for priest
- Check to see that Pitcher (with water), Bowl & Towel are ready
- Decide with each other who is carrying the cross, who is holding the Sacramentary, & who is setting up & clearing the altar
WHEN DEACON MIKE IS SERVING, ASK HIM ABOUT ANY CHANGES IN DUTIES
+Procession (except for Advent & Lent) Hands are folded whenever moving about church.
- Cross bearer leads other two servers to back of church using side aisle, carrying the cross upright
- The Reader follows cross bearer, leads and stops directly centered in front of altar
- Other servers bow when the Priest bows
- Cross bearer then goes up steps and then right toward the Sacristy to place cross on stand and then goes to join other servers standing at servers’ bench
- The server who has the job of holding the Sacramentary for the Priest goes slowly to pick it up and holds it for him when he says: “Let us Pray…” and then closing the book and placing it back on the stand at the end of the prayer.
- At certain times, the Priest may want the server to hold the Sacramentary from the very beginning of Mass.
+Collection/Preparation of the Gifts
- When the collection begins, two servers set the altar, go to the table and carry the corporal (large cloth) to the altar, then get chalices (on tray with water cruet & purificators – small cloths) – set the altar. One of the servers also gets the Sacramentary (red book) and places it on the altar.
- When the collection is finished the other two servers meet the Priest down on the floor level in front of the altar.
- Server receiving the basket places it in front of altar
- Server receiving wine place it on the right hand side of the corporal (from the priest’s side)
- These two servers meet the third one who has the water pitcher ready to take to the priest; they pick up the bowl and towel and stand three in a row as close to the right end of the altar as possible, first water, second bowl, third towel.
- Hand pitcher with handle pointed toward the priest; when receiving it, get ready to pour the water over the priest’s fingers with bowl under, and the towel opened.
- Afterward, return to stand at servers’ bench until the congregation kneels, then kneel at bench.
+Lord’s Prayer – Our Father…
- When all stand for the Our Father, servers go stand with or behind priest & hold hands with priest
+Sign of Peace
- Give a sign of Peace to Priest and each other
- Then immediately get bowls for Communion and place them un-stacked on left side of altar.
- Remain standing behind the Priest until the congregation kneels, then kneel three in a row behind where the Priest is standing
Right after the Priest eats the host and drinks from the chalice, stand up to receive Holy Communion. Remember to bow slightly before taking Communion.
- After taking Communion, wait until Communion ministers go to give Communion and then remove wooden tray and altar cloth and return them to their proper places-the tray on right hand of tabernacle and cloth to the left.
- Server who held the Sacramentary at the beginning of Mass once again holds it for the priest when he says; “Let us pray…” and then puts it down at the end of prayer. At times, the priest may need the Sacramentary held for the Final Blessing.
- At “Let us pray…” the cross bearer gets the cross, waits in sacristy doorway until closing song begins, and then goes to floor in front of altar and faces altar until the priest joins servers and bows; cross bearer then leads procession out and when back of church is reached continue down the side aisle back to sacristy.
- Extinguish candles
- Take alb off only after duties are completed
- Hang up alb and cincture