St. Joseph Cemetery

 

St. Joseph's Cemetery, according to a St. Mary's Parish History published in 1915, St. Joseph's cemetery was laid out in 1867 at the north end of Walnut Street at the bottom of Hatcher Hill. St. Mary's Catholic Parish was folded into Prince of Peace Parish in Madison in 1991. This cemetery was known as the "German Yard" in the late 1800s.

Of the four Catholic Cemeteries, burials from earlier years are identified by various methods: old newspaper obituaries, mortuary records, information on grave markers and other historical records. There are very fragmentary, unofficial records for the years starting in 1855, reconstructed from a variety of primary sources, including grave marker inscriptions, newspapers, funeral home archives, death certificates, church parish registers, and oral history. The earliest recorded grave marker for St. Joseph's Cemetery was Emma Henzelman, daughter of J. & M. Henzelman, d. July 1868, age 1 year.